Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Spread of Buddhism in India, China, and Japan

Good day, students.

Tomorrow's class discussion will center around the spread of Buddhism throughout Asia. Specifically, from India to China and Japan. As you will see in your reading, this spread had significant cultural and developmental effects on these nations. The diffusion of Buddhism across the Himalayas impacted these civilizations in vast and very different ways, and it is reflected in the variations of practice in India, china, and Japan. For tonight's assignment, I'd like you to visit the four sites I've listed below:





When you are finished, you are to post a blog using your Blogger account, and I'd like you all to point out and discuss some of the things you noticed in the readings:

1. Did the ideals of Buddhism change as it spread? How so?
2. What are some of the differences you noticed in how each country practices Buddhism?
3. What are some of the similarities?

Each of you should try to respond to two of your classmates' postings before Friday.

Great discussion today!

See you in class tomorrow.

- Mr. Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment